Jehoiakim Burns Jeremiah's Scroll
Questions for Study 27
Memory Verse: 36:28
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
I. Baruch Writes (36:1-10)
1. When did the events in this chapter take place? (1, 9) What was Jeremiah instructed to do? (2, 30:1-2) Why? (3) What is a word that means "turn from"?
2. Who had the Lord provided to write Jeremiah's words? (4-5) What did Jeremiah tell him to do? (6-7) Where did Baruch read the scroll? (8, 10)
II. Baruch Reads (36:11-19)
3. Who eventually was read the word of the Lord through Jeremiah? (11-15) How did they respond? (16) What did they suspect about the source? (17)
4. What did Baruch confess? Why do you think the religious leaders told him and Jeremiah to hide? Why is it sometimes wise to hide? (Matthew 12:14-16, 15:21; John 6:14-15, 11:53-54)
III. Baruch Writes a New Scroll (36:20-32)
5. What did the king order when he heard about the scroll? (20-21) What was he doing as the rest of the nation was fasting? (22) What did he do with the word of God? (23)
6. What didn't they do? Why?
7. What did the Lord tell Jeremiah to do? (27-28) What was the message to Jehoiakim? What can be learned about the word of God?
8. What would happen to the king who burned the word of God? Why is Spirit filled study of the word of God so important?
9. What must have Jeremiah and Baruch thought as they obeyed and wrote a new scroll? What does this say about the gospel mission?