The Potter's House
Questions for Study 15
Memory Verse: 18:5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM JEREMIAH'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. Keep the Sabbath Holy (17:19-27)
1. Why did the Lord tell Jeremiah to deliver his message? (19) Why? (20) What was he to proclaim? (21-22) What did Jesus and Paul teach about the Sabbath, the last day of the week? (Matthew 12:5-8, 12:11-12; John 5:9-15; Romans 14:5-8)
2. Did they listen? (23) What was promised if they carried no load on the Sabbath? (24-26) And if they did? (27)
II. The Potter's House (18:1-17)
3. Where was Jeremiah told to go to? (1-2) Who did he see working there? (3) What did the potter do to a marred piece of clay he was working with? (4)
4. What was the clay like? (5-6) Had any nation ever repented and thus was spared from God's judgement? (7-8; Jonah 3:4-5, 10) What nation was the Lord thinking of in verses 9 and 10?
5. Which of the two examples given was Judah? (11-12) Had any other nation switched gods like Israel did? (13-15) When God brings destruction to such people will he rescue them? (16-17)
III. Defile and Ignore Jeremiah (18:18-23)
6. What did Judah say about Jeremiah? (18) Did Jeremiah have ill intent for Judah? (19-20) How is preaching the gospel similar?
7. Did Jeremiah take any actions against his accusers? Instead what did he do? (21-22) Why did he pray this way? (16:3-4)
8. What did Jesus teach us to do when people reject the gospel we preach? (Matthew 5:43-45; Luke 9:52-56, 10:10-11)
9. What did he pray for those who tried to kill him? (23) Why? (7:16, 11:14, 14:11-12)