Receive the Crown of Life
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 12
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE READ AN INTRODUCTIONS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE READ AN OUTLINE.
I. Greetings (1:1)
1. Who wrote the letter? (Acts 12:2, 17, 15:13, 21:17-18; Gal. 1:19; Jude 1:1) How does he describe himself? Who is the letter to? (Jer. 31:9-10) What is unusual about the recipients? (Jer. 31:9-10) What does it mean that he calls them brothers in verse 2?
II. Trial and Temptations (1:2-18)
2. Will all believers face trails? (2) How are we to respond when we face trials? Why? (3) Why is perseverance so important? (4, 12, 5:10-11; Rom. 5:3-5)
3. How is knowledge different than wisdom and why is the later better to ask for? (5) When we ask God for something like wisdom what one thing is important? (6-8)
4. How is understanding about what is important opposite in the kingdom of God and the kingdoms of the world? (9-10; Luke 6:20-21, 18:23-24) What is the truth about the rich? (11)
5. Who is to blame for us being tempted? (13-14; Jer. 17:9; Rom. 1:24) Can God be tempted? Why or why not? (Heb. 4:15) What does this tell us about the nature of temptation? (15)
6. What do we learn about the nature of God from verses 16-17? What did God chose to do for us? What does it mean that we are "a kind of firstfruits of all he created"? (Exodus 23:16; Matt. 13:37-39)
III. Listening and Doing (1:19-27)
7. What do listening, speaking, and anger have in common? (19-20) What can we learn from verse 20 about an aspect of a righteous life? (Psalm 37:8-9; Pro. 29:8, 11) How is God's anger different from man's anger? (Exodus 34:6-7; Nahum 1:2-3; Psalm 30:4-5) Is verse 21 advice or a command?
8. How his hearing God's word and not doing deceptive? (22) What is the meaning behind the allegory in verses 23 and 24?
9. How is Bible study and application dependant on each other? (25)
10. Why is what we say so important? (26) What example can we learn from Jesus about our speech? What status did orphans and widows have in James time and how can we apply verse 27 to our lives today?