In The Beginning
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verses: 1:1-2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE OF GENESIS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN INTRODUCTION TO GENESIS.
1. Meditate on the meaning of: "In the beginning", "God", "created", and "the heavens and the earth"; and give a brief description of what each means. (In chapter 1 "God" is the Hebrew word "Elohim" which means "Almighty". From chapter 2 on "God" is the Hebrew word "YHWH" which means "the Lord God." "Lord" is a name which reflects God's love, his purpose of salvation, and his mercy.)
2. In chapter 1, count the number of times "God" is repeated noting each verse. Who or what is the origin of all things in the world? What difference does it make to know the true origin of all things?
3. What part of creation does verse 2 on seem to concern? Meditate on the meaning of: "formless", "empty", and "darkness"; and give a brief description of what each means.
4. What does "...the Spirit of God was hovering..." suggest? Through what instrument was all things made? (3, 6, 9, 14, 20, 24, John 1:1) What does this suggest about God and his word? How does verses 1 thru 3 reveal the trinity?
5. What is the progressive development and order in the first six days? What is significant about this? What is significant about light being first? What are the characteristics of light? And darkness?
6. How did God appreciate and feel after creating the things he made? What does this teach us about God? What is his view of everything in the created universe, including all men and women? (1:31)
7. Note the verses in which the phrases "God said...it was so" appear. What does this show about God's word? Why might the seventh day not have this phrase?
8. What can you say about God's nature as you see the way he worked and what he made? Notice the verbs used to describe God's actions. What do God's actions reveal about him?
9. What does the phrase "according to their kinds" mean? What does this say about living things? About God?
10. When we believe in the God of Genesis, what must we believe? Why don't most accept the truth? (John 3:19-21, Rom. 1:18:23)