The Lord Establishes Isaac's Home
Questions for Study 17
Memory Verses: 24:67
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF HIS ERA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SPREADSHEET GENESIS' GENEOLOGY.
I. The Death of Sarah (23:1-20)
1. What did Abraham do when Sarah died? (1-2) What does this tell us about his relationship to her?
2. Even though God promised the land of Canaan to Abraham what problem arose when Sarah died? (3-4, 15:7) What then is the nature of this promise? Why did Abraham insist on paying for the land? Describe the business transaction. What does this reveal about his faith in God's promise? About his relationship with others?
II. Abraham's Servant's Mission (24:1-31)
3. What mission did Abraham give his chief servant? What shows the importance of this mission? What were the stipulations Abraham made concerning the woman who could be Isaac's wife? Why do you think he didn't want Isaac to marry a Canaanite? Why was it important to him that God's angel would go with him?
4. How did Abraham's servant prepare for his mission? When he arrived in the town of Nahor, how did he begin to carry out his mission? Why did he give such a specific condition in his prayer? (14-15) What can we learn from his prayer about the kind of woman he was seeking for Isaac? (11-14)
5. How did Abraham's servant make sure that Rebekah was the girl God had chosen for Isaac? (15-27) Why?
6. How did he persuade Rebekah's family to send her on the long journey back to Canaan to be the wife of a man they had never seen?
7. What can a man with a mission learn from Abraham's servant's attitude? His way of carrying out his mission?
III. Rebekah's Faith (24:32-67)
8. What kind of girl was Rebekah? (15-20, 24-25) What was her decision? On what basis could she make such a decision? (56-61) What can you learn from her about practical faith?
9. Describe the completion of the servant's mission and the meeting of Isaac and Rebekah. What does verse 67 tell us?