The Lord Tests Abraham
Questions for Study 16
Memory Verses: 22:8, 18
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM & MT. MORIAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SPREADSHEET GENESIS' GENEOLOGY.
I. Here I Am (1-5)
1. What is the significance of God's calling Abraham by name? What does Abraham's answer suggest about his basic attitude toward God?
2. What did God ask Abraham to do? Why? What shows that God knew what he was asking would be difficult for Abraham to do?
3. How and when did Abraham respond to God's command? Why did he not tell the servant what he planned to do? What do his actions reveal about Abraham's faith?
II. God Himself Will Provide the Lamb (6-8)
4. As the two of them climbed the mountain together, how did Isaac make obedience even harder?
5. Why didn't Abraham tell Isaac what he was going to do? What was his answer to Isaac's question? How does this answer plant faith in God in Isaac's heart?
III. Now I Know That You Fear God (9-19)
6. What preparations did Abraham make to carry out God's command? Why did he stop before slaying Isaac?
7. How had God been testing Abraham (11)? And how did Abraham come out in the test (12)? Why was this test necessary for Abraham?
8. Why did Abraham name the place "the Lord will provide"? What does this show us about Abraham's faith? How can we have this kind of faith?
9. When God called to Abraham from heaven a second time, what was his reason? (15-16) What is the significance of his swearing by himself?
10. How is this blessing similar to and how is it different from the earlier covenant promises? (12:1-3,7; 13:15-16; 15:4,5,7; 18:18)
11. What did God want Abraham to learn through the years of training? What kind of faith does God want his people to have?
12. Who is Milcah and her sons? (Job 32:2) Reumah and her sons?