Cancel Debts and Free Servants
Questions for Study 13
Memory Verse: 14:23
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF THE PROMISED LAND.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM MOSES TO DAVID.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. Clean and Unclean Food (14:1-21)
1. Who are we to the Lord? (1-2; 1 Peter 2:9-10)
2. What kind of land animal where Israelites allowed to eat and forbidden to eat? (3-8) What kind of water animal where Israelites allowed to eat and forbidden to eat? (9-10) What kind of airborn animal where Israelites allowed to eat and forbidden to eat? (11-20) Are these requirements still to be obeyed? (Mark 7:17-23; Acts 15:24-29)
II. Tithes (14:22-29)
3. What was to be set aside? What were they to do with it? What provision was made if the place of offering was to far? (24-26)
4. Who were the Levites and provision was made for their life in the Promised Land? Who are the Levites in our time? (19; and 1 Cor. 9:7-12; and 1 Tim. 5:17-18)
5. What was to happen after three years? Why?
III. The Year for Cancelling Debts (15:1-11)
6. What was to happen after seven years and what is this a foreshadow of? What was the procedure for the seventh year? What law was given in verse 3?
7. What form of charity did the Lord set up and how is this different than any other nation at the time?< What does it mean to be hardhearted, tightfisted, and openhanded?
8. What wicked thought was warned in verse 9? How is giving to be done? (10) What is true to this very day about poverty and prosperity?
IV. Freeing Servants (15:12-18)
9. How were believers to be treated on the seventh year? (12-15) What if they don't want to leave? What warning is given in verse 18?
V. Firstborn Animals (15:19-23)
10. Why is the setting of the firstborn aside a symbol of the Messiah? What does it mean to eat the firstborn? Why was special about the firstborn's blood?