The God of Daniel's Three Friends
Questions for Study 3
Memory Verse: 3:17-18
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE ASSYRIAN EMPIRE
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE IN 500 B.C.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF GREECE DIVIDED AFTER ALEXANDER DIED.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM DANIEL'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. The Dedication of an Image of Gold (1-18)
1. Describe the image King Nebuchadnezzar made. (1-2) Where had the idea probably come from? What was his purpose in doing this? (2:31, 38) Can you think of others who had done something similar? (1 Sa. 15:12; and 2 Sa. 18:18) What kind of men were they?
2. Describe the impressive dedication ceremony of the image. Who came? What were they commanded to do? What was the signal? What was the punishment for disobedience? What happened? (4-7)
3. Why could God's people--including Daniel's three friends--not obey this command? (Ex. 20:4, 5) What was the report of certain astrologers? What was their intent? (8-12) What kind of men were they?
4. How did King Nebuchadnezzar react? What did he know about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego? What was his attitude toward them? (13-15) How did he rest them? How did he warn them? What question did he ask them?
5. Read verses 16-18. How did Daniel's 3 friends defend themselves? What did they believe about God? (Ge. 1:1; Ex. 15:2; Rom. 8:28, 38, 39) What was the firm resolution which they made--regardless of the consequences? How could they refuse to obey the king? (Jn. 14:21; Heb. 11:36-38)
II. Daniel's Friends Thrown into the Fire (19-30)
6. How did Nebuchadnezzar's attitude toward the three change? Why was he so angry? In his anger, what did he order to be done? What shows the urgency and lack of reason in his anger? (19-23)
7. Read verses 24-25. What did Nebuchadnezzar see that shocked him and brought him to his senses? What does this mean?
8. What did Nebuchadnezzar do? What amazing thing did he and all of his officials discover when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out? Who is the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego?
9. What did the king say and do? (28-30) What keeps his confession and proclamation from being personal? Why did he not acknowledge God as his personal God? What difference does this make?
10. What can we learn from this event about the difference between miserable worldly men who love themselves and men who love God? Who are the true history makers?