The Man Appointed to Judge the World
Questions for Study 19
Memory Verse: 31
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF PAUL'S FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONARY JOURNEY.
I. In Thessalonica (1-9)
1. Other than at Philippi, what was Paul's usual custom on the Sabbath? (Note: there must be ten adult males in a area to have a synagogue.) What was the subject of his teaching?
2. Who received the message? (4) What does it mean to be God-fearing? (Proverbs 1:7, 8:13) Why was it hard to fear God in that society and ours?
3. Why were some jealous? (Gen. 37:11, 2 Cor. 11:2) Why is jealousy foolish in the eyes of God? (1 Ki. 10:9, Ezra 3:11, Hos. 1:7, 6:4; Ps. 98:3, 136:1-26)
4. What was said about Paul's message? What was said of Jesus? What happened to the new believers? Paul was forced to leave. Because of this not long after this, while in Corinth, Paul wrote the believers in Thessalonica two letters. Read the letters according to the Holy Spirit's prompting.
II. In Berea (10-15)
5. What was the first thing Paul did in Berea? What did the Bereans do to confirm Paul's words? What can we learn from them?
6. What did the Thessalonians do when they heard Paul was preaching at their neighboring town? What did Paul have to do? What shows the emergency?
7. Why did Paul ask for Silas and Timothy to join him right away? (Matt. 18:20, Mk. 6:7) In light of this can a person act alone in the gospel work?
III. In Athens (16-34)
8. Why did Paul expand his normal missionary work in Athens? (16-17) What did the educated philosophers think of the simple message of the gospel? (18-21, and 1 Cor. 1:23)
9. How did Paul start his message? (22-23) What does this say about his understanding about giving messages? What famous temple is in Athens?
10. What does God need from us and how does Paul prove this? (25-26) What does Paul reveal about why you are where your are? (26) Do you know why God wants you were you are?
11. What does God desire? (27-28) Why should we repent? (29-31) Who will judge us? What is the nature of idol worship? (Rom. 1:21-23) What do you find glory in, praise, and value most? Do you need repentance? What were the two responses to Paul's message?