They Preached the Good News
Questions for Study 16
Memory Verse: 21a
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF PAUL'S FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONARY JOUNEYS.
I. Preaching in Iconium (1-7)
1. Despite what Paul and Barnabas said and experienced in Pisidian Antioch, where did they go when they reached the neighboring town? Was the response any different? Can you think of any other message that has such reactions? Is this type of reaction to the gospel happening today and in your ministry? Did Jesus tells us that this will happen in his disciples ministry?
2. How did the Lord Jesus testify to the truth of their ministry? (3) Even with such convincing proof what happened? What does this tell us about the nature of sin in a person's life who refuses the simple message of salvation?
II. Preaching in Lystra and Derbe (8-20)
3. What did Paul and Barnabas eventually have to do?
4. Who did Paul notice there? What does it mean to have faith to be healed? What does this tell us about salvation and the power of the gospel?
5. Inspite of Paul's message what mistake did the people make? (11-13) What did Paul and Barnabas do? What does this tell us about how messangers of the gospel is to resist glory that comes from men?
6. How did and does still God work with people even when there is no one there to preach the gospel? (16-17)
7. Who came from previous cities that Paul and Barnabas had preached at? What did they do? What could compell someone to go so far to resist the work of God?
III. The Return to Antioch (21-28)
8. Where did they go next? What was the result of their preaching?
9. Why would they backtrack considering the opposition they faced in those cities? (22) What does this tell us must happen in our mission?
10. What did they do before they went back home? (23) What does this tell us about their faith in God's work verses their staying there?
11. What did they continue to do as they went back home? (24-25) What did they do when they returned to Antioch? (26-28) What does the fact that they stayed in Antioch a long time tell us about their faith in God's work the new churches that were planted?