Preach the Word
Questions for Study 5
2 Timothy 4:1-22
Memory Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. In View of His Appearing (1-5)
1. Why does Paul give the charge in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who will judge the living and the dead? And in view of his appearing and his kingdom?
2. Why was it necessary for Paul to give an imperative charge to Timothy, "Preach the Word" in light of the circumstances? Why is this the best direction for Timothy to overcome everything? What does it mean, "Be prepared in season and out of season"? What different kinds of methods should the workman of God use in preaching the word? With what attitude? What does this teach us about the life of the workman of God?
3. What are the characteristics of the time Paul describes in verses 3 and 4? Why would gospel workers meet increasing opposition? Why is it important that Timothy understand the time and the morals of the people in the near future? How should he and other gospel workers face them? With what attitude?
II. There is in Store for Me (6-8)
4. What did Paul know about his present condition and the fate of his near future? What was his attitude about it?
5. How did Paul describe his life of faith and his ministry? (7) What was his own evaluation of it?
6. What was his personal conviction about his eternal destiny? In what was is Paul already a true victor of life, a triumphant soldier of Christ and a crowned spiritual soldier of Christ?
7. How does he encourage Timothy and other Christians through his conviction of faith?
III. Personal Remarks and Final Greeting (9-22)
8. Why did Paul ask Timothy to come to him quickly? Whose names did he quote as good workers? Why?
9. How did Paul face his first trial? What were his circumstances? What was the outcome of his first defense? What was his personal wish through it? What other co-workers in Ephesus, Corinth, and Miletus did Paul greet? Why were they precious to Paul? Who were with Paul? Why were these co-workers so important to Paul?