INTRODUCTION TO 2 TIMOTHY
AFTER READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS
Before analyzing the test of any book of the Bible, it is well to learn the historical background.
Also, it is best to make a "skyscraper" view of its general contents.
- Author. Apostle Paul according to most scholars.
- Date Written. Probably in 67 A.D. just before Paul's martyrdom.
- Period Covered. During Paul's last imprisonment under Nero's reign and Christian persecution.
- Geographical Centers. Paul was in a Roman prison when he wrote this second letter to Timothy. Timothy was pastor in Ephesus when Paul asked him to visit him in prison.
- Main Theme. Overcome the problems in the congregation, especially the ill false reports of some against Paul and his ministry.
- Audience. A personal letter to Timothy.
- The letter contains Paul's stirring words of encouragement and instruction to his young disciple. Paul longed to see Timothy (1:4) and asked him to come to Rome for a visit. It is generally believed that Timothy went. Paul asked him to come before winter (4:21) and bring the winter coat Paul left in Troas (4:13). Timothy was also asked to bring the scrolls and the parchments so Paul could read and study (4:13). (Holman Bible Dictionary)
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO 1John STUDY 1 QUESTIONS
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO 1John STUDY 1 COMMENTS
Click the house to go to the Bible Study HOME Page