Absalom Returns to Jerusalem
Questions for Study 6
2 Samuel 13:1-14:33
Key Verse: 14:14
AFTER ANSWERING CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. Amnon and Tamar (13:1-22)
1. Why was Amnon's "love" for Tamar not real love? (1-2) What poor advice did his friend give him? (3-6) What shows his lack of self control? (7-11; Prov. 25:28) How can a young man control his emotions and desires? (Gal. 5:22-26; and 2 Peter 1:5-8)
2. How did Tamar feel? (12-13a) What was she willing to do? (13b) How was Amnon's heart and character revealed? (14-16) What did Amnon's act do to his half-sister? (17-19) How can such a thing happen in David's household?
3. How did Absalom and David react? (20-22) Why, even though he was furious did David do nothing? (2 Sam. 11:4-5; Prov. 5:22; Ps. 39:11)
II. Absalom Kills Amnon (13:23-39)
4. Who refused to come to Absalom's party? (23-25) What did Absalom do? How did David react?
5. Where did Absalom go? How can sin spread so easily be stopped? (Rom. 5:12, 15-16)
III. Absalom Returns to Jerusalem (14:1-33)
6. How and why did Joab arrange Absalom's return? (1-5) What sad story did the wise woman tell? (6-7) What promise did she trick David into making? (8-11) Why was this necessary?
7. What characteristic of God did she remind David? (12-14) How does God reconcile us to him? (Eph. 2:14-18; Col. 1:19-20) How had David personally experienced God's reconciling love? (Ps. 32:1-2, 5)
8. What capacity did she remind King David that he had? (15-17) When David discovered who was behind this, what further quality did she say that David had? What can we learn from her? (Matt. 5:9; James 3:18)
9. Why did David request to see Absalom? What noticeable quality did Absalom have? (23-27)
10. How did Absalom finally get an audience with the king? (28-33) What do his actions show about him? What can we learn here about what is more important?