God's Promise to David
Questions for Study 3
2 Samuel 7:1-29
Key Verse: 13
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
I. I Will Establish His Throne Forever (1-17)
1. In what sense had the LORD given David 'rest'? (1) What did David tell Nathan the prophet? (2) What was Nathan's initial response? (3) Was his advice the Lord's will? (4)
2. What was God's dwelling place from the day the Israelites came out of Egypt? (5-6) What can we learn about God? (7, John 1:14; Mt. 11:29-30) Why do you think God discouraged David from building a house for him? (1 Chron. 28:3)
3. Where was David when God called him and what was his life like? (8, and 1 Sa. 17:34-37) How did God show his love for David? (9a; 3:1) What did God promise David for the future of his kingdom? (9b-12)
4. In what sense are verses 13 and 16 Messianic promises? (Lk. 1:32-33) What do verses 14-15 teach about God's love to his children? (1 Cor. 13:6-7; Heb. 12:7-11)
II. Who am I, O Lord? (18-21)
5. As David reviewed God's past dealings with him what as his response? (18) What was David's attitude toward God? (19) What does David's prayer mention about God's grace? (20-21; Ps. 116:12)
III. Now Lord, Do as You Promised (22-29)
6. What does David know about the greatness of God? (22; Ex. 15:11; and 1 Kings 8:23; and 2 Chron. 20:6) What does David refer to as the special goodness of God to his own people? (23; Mt. 21:43; and 1 Pet. 2:9; and 2 Thes. 2:13)
7. What does David describe as the covenant of God's grace? (24; Num. 23:19; and 1 Thes. 1:4; Ps. 119:49) How could David have such confident expectation? (Ps. 119:25, 28, 41, 58)
8. What was the basis of David's bold prayer? (25) How can we hold onto God's promises? (Is. 1:18; Jer. 3:22; Is. 40:29-31; Prov. 3:6, James 1:5; and 1 Cor. 10:13; Phil. 4:19)
9. What is David's supreme desire? (26-27; and 1 Cor. 10:31; John 12:27, 17:1)
10. On what basis did David build his hopes? (28-29; Ps. 119:58) What wonderful characteristics are manifested in David's prayer?