The Temple of Baal Becomes a Latrine
Questions for Study 8
2 Kings 10:1-36
Memory Verses: 1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. The House of Ahab Ends (10:1-17)
1. What resolution did Jehu tell Samaria, the capital of Israel? (1-3) Why was Israel afraid of Jehu? (4) What did they decide to do? Was all this the work of men, or was the Lord behind it?
2. Why might Jehu want the leading men of the city to murder Ahab's sons? What did Jehu do and proclaim in Jezreel? (9-11) What does this say about the time?
3. Why might have Jehu killed forty-two visitors from Judah? What is zeal for the Lord and how could Jehu claim he had it? Was what he doing zeal for the Lord? (17)
II. Jehu Destroys Baal Worship in Israel (10:18-36)
4. How did Jehu set a trap for the prophets of Baal? (18-19) Where did he put all of them? Why might he give them new robes?
5. What did Jehu want to be sure of? (23-24) As the prophets of Baal were making sacrifices and burnt offerings inside the temple what was Jehu doing outside? (25-27) What did the temple of Baal turn into?
6. What were the golden calves? (28-29; 1 Kings 12:28-30) Where were they to worship? (Deut. 12:4-7) Why is only partial obedience good enough? (John 14:15)
7. What did the Lord promise Jehu? (30-31) How does this show us the grace of God?
8. What was slowly happening to Israel? (32-33) How might this be an example of their spiritual condition?
9. What does 2 Chronicles 22:7-12 record the results of Jehu's killing of Judah's king? In our zeal for carrying out the Lord's will can we do things that are not according to the Lord's will?