The End of the Kingdom of Judah
Questions for Study 16
2 Kings 23:31-25:30
Memory Verses: 24:20
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM THE BABYLON EMPIRE TO THE ROMAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. Jehoahaz and Jehoiakim, Evil Kings (23:31-24:7)
1. How was Jehoahaz's life summarised? (31-32) What did the Pharaoh of Egypt do? (33-35) What must have it been like to live in Judah at this time?
2. How was Jehoiakim's life summarised? (36-37) Who invaded Judah? (24:1; Jer. 46:2) Even though Nebuchadnezzar allowed Jehoiakim to rule Judah what was must have his reign been like? (2-4) How extensive was Nebuchadnezzar's power? (5-7)
II. Judah and Jerusalem Thrust From the Lord's Presence (24:7-20)
3. When Babylon defeated them the first time did young Jehoiachin repent? (8-12) How does this explain Nebuchadnezzar's return? How did the Lord fulfill his word through a Gentile pagan? (13-14) Who did Nebuchadnezzar place in charge of Judah and what did he change his name to? (15-17)
4. Did Zedekiah repent? (18-19) Did Zedekiah repent? (18-19) What did the prophet Jeremiah tell him? (Jer. 21:3-7) Why? (20)
III. Judah Taken Into Captivity (25:1-30)
5. What was Babylon's siege like against Jerusalem? (1-3) Was Judah's king able to escape the Lord's wrath? (4-6) Did his sons survive?
6. Why was it important that Jerusalem be burned? (8-9) Who were the only Jews allowed to remain in Judah? (10-12) Will something similar happen again when the Antichrist sets up the abomination that causes desolation? (Dan. 9:26-27, 11:31-35, 12:11-12; Matt. 24:15-22)
7. What happened to the temple? (13-17) What had happened to the leaders and elders of Judah? (18-21) How should this be a warning to leaders today?
8. What advice was given the poor who was left in Judah? (22-24) How did Jesus teach us to live when under the rule of oppressive governments? (Matt. 22:17-21)
9. Why might Nethaniah kill those Babylon had put in charge of Judah? (25-26) What does this show about sinful man?
10. How did Jehoiachin's life in prison change? (27-30)