The King Eternal Immortal Invisible the only God
Questions for Study 1
1 Timothy 1:1-20
Memory Verse: 5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE READ AN INTRODUCTIONS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE READ AN OUTLINE.
I. Greetings (1:1-2)
1. Who is the sender of this letter? How does he identify himself? Why has he been appointed this? How and why is Jesus our hope? (John 8:12, 11:25-26, 14:6-7)
2. Who is the recipient, how is he identified, and how did he hear the gospel? Where can we obtain grace, mercy, and peace? Why list these, why that order, and what does this personally mean to you?
II. The Goal is Love (1:3-11)
3. Where was Paul and where was Timothy? (3a) What was Timothy directed to do while there? (3b-4a) What is God work in us and how was the false teachers hindering it? (4b) What is the goal of this direction? (5)
4. What does the fact that "some have wandered away" mean? What do they do now? According to verse 7 what do they mean to be? why are they not? What can we learn about the important of proper Bible teaching training? (John 15:5-8; and 2 Tim. 3:16-17; Heb. 13:20-21)
5. Is it possible to use a good thing improperly and so bring the opposite effect it was originally intended? (8) Who was the law made for and why? (9-10a) What does sound doctrine conform to? What is the gospel? (1 Cor. 15:1-8) Why does God entrust it to men?
III. The Lord's Grace (1:12-20)
6. Why did Paul thank Jesus? (12) How is his past an example of the grace of Jesus? (13) What does Paul state his Bible knowledge was before Jesus' grace came into his life?
7. How is what Paul experienced no different than what all true believers experience? (14-15) What does Jesus save us from? How should Paul's view of himself be also the view we hold? (Isaiah 64:6-7; Psalm 143:2; Romans 3:9-20)
8. What does it mean to you that Jesus has unlimited patience? (16) What can we learn about God's nature from verse 17?
9. What does Paul compare the believer's life to in verse 18? What does that mean practically? (19)
10. Who were Hymenaeus and Alexander? (20) How did Paul follow his own advice given in verses 3 to 7?