INTRODUCTION TO 1 TIMOTHY
AFTER READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS
Before analyzing the test of any book of the Bible, it is well to learn the historical background.
Also, it is best to make a "skyscraper" view of its general contents.
- Author. Apostle Paul according to most scholars.
- Date Written. Probably in 62 or 63 A.D. just after Paul's release from his first Roman imprisonment.
- Period Covered. Paul's restarted ministry after freedom.
- Geographical Centers. Paul was in either Rome or Macedonia when he wrote this first letter to Timothy. Timothy was pastor in Ephesus when Paul asked him to visit him in prison.
- Main Theme. A pastor's ministry.
- Audience. A personal letter to Timothy.
- Paul had hoped to visit Timothy in Ephesus but was fearful of a delay. If he were delayed, he wanted Timothy to "know what is proper conduct in God's household" (3:14-15 REB). The epistle contains instructions concerning order and structure in the church and practical advice for the young pastor.
- One important theme in this and the other two Pastoral Epistles (2 Tim. and Titus) is "sound doctrine." Paul urged Timothy and Titus to confront the false teaching by sound or healthy teaching. This word occurs eight times in these three letters (1 Tim. 1:10; 6:3; and 2 Tim. 1:13; 4:3; Titus 1:9,13; 2:1-2) (Holman Bible Dictionary)
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO 1John STUDY 1 QUESTIONS
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO 1John STUDY 1 COMMENTS
Click the house to go to the Bible Study HOME Page