The Word of God at Work in You
Questions for Study 1
1 Thessalonians 1:1-2:16
Memory Verse: 2:13
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION TO 1 Thessalonians.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE TO LUKE.
I. Greetings (1:1)
1. Who are the senders of this letter? Who is the recipient? How are they identified? How did they hear the gospel? Where can we obtain grace and peace, why that order, and what does this personally mean to you?
II. Thanksgiving for the Thessalonians Faith (1:2-10)
2. What was one of Paul, Silas, and Timothy's prayer topics? (2) What did the Thessalonians' faith, hope, and love produce? (3)
3. Who chose who? (4; John 15:16) When God chooses someone, how does he make himself known to them? (5a; Mark 4:14) How is this confirmed to everyone? After they preached the gospel what did Paul, Silas, and Timothy do? (5b)
4. Did believing in the gospel make life easier for them? How were they able to cope?
5. How did their life of faith in the mist of suffering become a blessing to others? (7-8)
6. What did their new life of faith entail? (9) As we serve God, what do we wait for? (10) What is the wrath to come? (Dan. 2:44, 8:19; Rom. 1:18; Col. 3:5-6)
III. Paul's Ministry in Thessalonica (2:1-16)
7. What do those who deliver the gospel often endure? (2:1-2) What happened in Philippi? (Acts 16:11-40) What happened when they left there and traveled to Thessalonica? (Acts 17:1-9) As we preach the gospel what should our heart be like? (3-6)
8. How should a preacher conduct himself with new believers? (7-8) How does sharing our life with new believers follow Jesus' example? Did Paul burden the new believers by asking them for financial support? (9; Acts 18:2-3; and 1 Cor. 9:18)
9. How should all of us, especially the spiritually mature conduct our lives? (10-12) What does it mean by God "who calls you into his kingdom and glory"?
10. When the gospel is preached who is the true source and who is therefore to be praised? (13) What often happens to a new believer? (14) Why do fellow countrymen often oppose a new believer? (15-16) What will be the outcome of those who hinder the gospel?