The Lord Rejects Saul as King
Questions for Study 7
1 Samuel 15:1-16:23
Key Verse: 15:22a
AFTER ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Saul's Pride Aggravated Himself (15:1-35)
1. Why would Samuel need to remind Saul about his anointing? (1) What mission did God give Saul? Why?
2. How did Saul carry out this mission? (4-5, 7) What did he do for the Kenites? Who did he spare? What does Saul's execution of his orders reveal about him?
3. Why did Samuel cry all night? Why was the Lord so grieved? What did Saul do that reveals the root cause for his sins? (12) What other sins did he commit? (13-15)
4. What did Samuel ask Saul? What was Saul's response? (20)
5. What spiritual principle did Samuel teach Saul? How can this be applied today? What does Saul reveal in the discourse that followed? (24-30) What did Samuel do? (31-35)
II. Samuel Anoints Boy David As the Future King (16:1-13)
6. How and why did the Lord rebuke Samuel? (1) What was Samuel afraid would happen? (2a) What instructions did the Lord give to mislead Saul? (2b-3)
7. Why would the town tremble when they saw Samuel? (4) What does it mean to "consecrate yourselves"?
8. What was God looking for in the next king that he did not find in Jesse's oldest sons? (6-10) What does the fact that he was tending sheep tell us about David's position in Jesse's family? How is David described? When David was anointed what happened to him? How does this fulfill the prophecy of Genesis 49:10?
III. David in Saul's Service (14-23)
9. Why had Saul become tormented by an evil spirit? How did David serve Saul?
10. What kind of person was the man after God's own heart?