The Tragedy of Saul's Suicide
Questions for Study 12
1 Samuel 27:1-31:13
Key Verse: 28:17
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF DAVID IN EXILE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF CANAAN BY TRIBE.
I. David Among the Philistines (27:1--28:2)
1. Where did David go after this? (1-4) How did he come to live in Ziklag? (5-7) How did he convince Achish the Philistine that he was a friend and ally? What can be learned?
2. What problem did David have? (1a) How did he manage? (1b-2)
II. Saul and the Witch of Endor (28:3-15)
3. What problem did Saul have? (3-6) How did he manage? (7-8) What can we learn about Saul and David about the way they handled their tough situations?
4. How did he convince her to inquire of Samuel? (9-11) How did Saul and the woman respond when Samuel came? (12-14) What does the women's scream tell us?
5. Among the tragety what hope did Samuel tell Saul? (15-19) What can we learn about the grace and love of God?
6. How did Saul receive Samuel's prophecy? How did the women help Saul? (21-25)
III. Achish Sends David Back to Ziklag (29:1-11)
7. Returning to David's dilemma what happened? (1-3) How did God rescue him from an insoluble dilemma? (4-7) What can be said of David's coy attitude? (8-11)
IV. David's Victory, Saul's Suicide (30:1-31:13)
8. What tragedy happened in Ziklag while David was gone? (30:1-5) How did David and his men react? (30:5-6a) How could he find strength and help to solve to problem? (30:6b-8)
9. Who did the Lord send to help David (30:9-16) How did the Lord bless David's faith? (30:17-20) How did David counter the evildoers among his troupes? (30:21-25) What did David call the plunder and what did he do with some of it? (30:26-31)
10. What happened to Saul, his sons and to Israel in the big battle with the Philistines?