David Receives Divine Discipline
Questions for Study 10
1 Samuel 21:1-23:29
Key Verse: 21:6
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF DAVID IN EXILE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF CANAAN BY TRIBE.
I. David Goes to A Priest of the Lord (21:1-15)
1. Why was David a fugitive? (20:33) Where did he go first? (21:1) Why would Ahimelech tremble? What story did David tell to calm Ahimelech's fears? Why did he say this?
2. What request did David make? How did Ahimelech help David? (4-6) What rules did he break and what risks did he take to do so? (Lev. 24:8-9; Matt. 12:3-4) What principle is laid here? Who witnessed this event? What else did David receive?
3. Where did David seek refuge next and why there? (10) Why could he not find refuge there? (11) How did he escape? (12-15) What does this show about him?
II. David Becomes a Shepherd of Bums and Outcasts (22:1-23)
4. Where did the one who sought after God's heart and his family have to live? (1) Describe the motley crew of men who came to him there. How did he show himself to be a shepherd of his people despite his situation? (3-5)
5. In the meantime, what was Saul's preoccupation? (6-8) How did Doeg show himself to be an opportunist? What must have it been like to be under Saul's reign?
6. What are all the things that Saul was convinced of? What happened to Ahimelech, his family and his city and why? Who escaped and who help him? What are the differences between David and Saul's leadership and what can we learn from it?
III. David Seeks the Lord, Saul Seeks David (23:1-29)
7. When David heard that the Philistines had attacked Keilah, what did he do? What can we learn from him?
8. When his men were afraid to go to the rescue of Keilah, what did David do? What can be seen in his conversation with the LORD?
9. When David learned that Saul was plotting against him what did he do? The Lord spoke to David through the priest's ephod. (6) How has God enabled us to converse with him in this age? (1 Cor. 6:19-20; Rom. 8:26-27; James 5:13-18)
10. As David was forced to be on the move what confession of faith was an encouragement given by Jonathan? (13-18) When the Ziphites exposed David's hiding place where was some of the places he went to? (19-25) What happened that saved David?