Jeroboam and Solomon's Other Adversaries
Questions for Study 9
1 Kings 11:1-43
Memory Verse: 27
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. I Will Tear the Kingdom From Your Son (11:1-13)
1. What was Solomon determined to hold fast to? (1-3) What was the result? (4) How is it possible for those who are close to the Lord in earlier years to move away from him in later years? (1 Peter 5:8-9; Matt. 16:11-12; and 1 John 2:15-17; and 2 Tim. 4:9-10)
2. What evil did Solomon do? (5-6) How didn't Solomon remain the spiritual leader in his family? (7-8) How can a husband and father be a spiritual leader in his family? (Gen. 35:2-5; and 1 Cor. 11:1; and 1 Peter 3:7)
3. What angers the Lord? (9-10) How was his anger expressed in Solomon's life? (11) What does verse 12 and 13 tell us about the Lord's love? Does a parent's faith and love for the Lord ensure a same response from their children? (John 1:12-13)
II. The Lord Raised Up Adversaries Against Solomon (10:14-25)
4. Why did an adversary enter Solomon's life? (14) What was Edom's history with Israel? (15-16)
5. How was Hadad spared when David fought Edom? (17-18) What was Hadad's life like in Egypt? (19-20) How did the Lord bring Edom back as an adversary to Israel and Solomon? (21-22) What can we learn about being content when all seems well? (Prov. 19:23)
6. Who was Rezon? (23-24) Where did he rule and for how long? (25) What can we learn about the Lord? (Deut. 8:5; Psalm 94:12-13)
III. Jeroboam Will Receive Ten Because Solomon Sinned (10:26-43)
7. Who was Jeroboam? (26) What did Solomon see in him? (27-28)
8. Did Jeroboam seek high position? (29-30) Was it clear to him how he was going to become a leader? (31) Was the boundaries made clear to him? (32-33) Is there anyone in a leadership position that the Lord didn't put there? (Psalm 22:27-28, 103:19)
9. Why did the Lord keep some of the kingdom in David's line? (34; and 2 Samuel 7:11b-16) How was the kingdom to be divided? (35-37) How would Jeroboam remain king over the ten tribes of Israel? (38-39) Did the promise come right away and easily? (40)
10. Why were only some of Solomon's life recorded in the Bible? (41) What does "rested with his fathers" mean? (42-43)