The First Temple in Jerusalem is Built
Questions for Study 5
1 Kings 6:1-38
Memory Verse: 29
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM AND THE TEMPLE.
I. The Layout (6:1-8)
1. Why is the exact timing of the beginning of the work important? (1) Draw a proportional sketch of the temple as described in verses 2-6 and 8-10. Why make the blocks as described in verse 7?
II. If You Will... I Will (6:11-13)
2. When did the word of the Lord come to Solomon? (11-12a) What does the words "as for this temple you are building" imply about the rest of the Lord's statement?
3. What four conditions did Israel and Judah have to follow? (12b) Considering Exodus 19:5-6; Lev. 18:1-5, 19:37, 20:7-8, 20:22-24, 25:18, and 1 Samuel 12:13-15 how was the Lord consistent in his relationship with Israel?
4. If they did what the Lord required what three things did he promise to do? (12c-13) What was the promise he made to David? (2 Sam. 7:5-16)
5. What does the phrase "live among" mean? What did he call the Israelites? What does the fact that they continually did not keep their end of the covenant and he remained with them so long tell us about the Lord? (Ex. 34:6-7; Jer. 15:15)
6. What New Covenant are we under? (Jer. 31:31-34; Luke 22:20; Rom. 3:21-26)
III. Inside the Temple (6:14-38)
7. What did the interior look like? (14-18) What was the ark of the covenant? (19; Exodus 25:22; and 1 Chron. 28:2)
8. With all the gold in the inner sanctuary, what would happen if a light would be in there? (20-22; Exodus 24:15-17) How does this relate to what we are told about Jesus? (Matt. 17:1-2; John 1:3-14; and 2 Cor. 4:6; Rev. 21:23)
9. What are cherubim and what is their purpose? (23-35; Gen. 3:24; Psalm 18:10; Ezekiel 10:3-8, 20-21)
10. What is the purpose of a courtyard? (36; Lev. 6:16; Jer. 26:2) How long did it take Solomon to build the temple? (37-38) What is the Lord's temple now? (1 Cor. 3:16-17; and 2 Cor. 6:16)