Observe What the Lord Your God Requires
Questions for Study 2
1 Kings 2:1-46
Memory Verse: 3
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM AND THE TEMPLE.
I. If You Obey the Law and Walk Faithfully (2:1-4)
1. What was David's death bed personal advice to Solomon? (1-3) Which of the Lord's promise did he remind Solomon? (4) Compare this with the promise in 2 Sam. 7:11b-16 and the warning in 1 Sam. 12:19-25.
II. Remember What These Men Did (2:5-12)
2. Who was Joab? (16a) What instructions did David give Solomon concerning him? (5-6)
3. Who was Barzillai? (2 Samuel 17:27-29, 19:31-32) What instructions did David give Solomon concerning him? (7)
4. Who was Shimei? (2 Sam. 16:5-6, 19:18-20) What instructions did David give Solomon concerning him? (8-9)
5. How did Jesus' parables reinforce David's instructions to Solomon? (Luke 12:42-48; Matt. 25:31-46, 21:33-44) How long did David reign?
III. Solomon's Kingdom Established (2:13-46)
6. After David died what did Adonijah waist no time in doing? (13-14) How is bitterness expressed in his words in verses 15-16 even as he acknowledges the Lord's hand? What was his request? (17) Who was Abishag? (3-4) Why might he not go directly to Solomon for this request?
7. How did Solomon honor his mother? (18-20) What does the Bible teach about how children are to honor their parents? (Eph. 6:1-3; Col. 3:20) What was her request? (21)
8. How did Solomon see through to the real reason for the request? (22) What judgement did he proclaim, refusing his mother's request?
9. Who was Abiathar and why did he deserve to die? (26-27; 1 Sam. 2:30-33) Why did Joab take hold of the altar? (28-30) Why didn't his plan work and what can we learn?
10. How did Solomon keep his father's request regarding Shimei?