God's Gentle Voice
Questions for Study 16
1 Kings 19:1-21
Memory Verses: 12
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Elijah's Fear and Depression (1-8)
1. Why did Elijah run for his life to the wilderness? (1-3) What was his request to God? (4) Why is it that those who refuse to accept the truth deliberately make the righteous feel this way? (Matt. 10:22)
2. What miracle had Ahab told Jezebel? (18:22-24, 28-29, 38) Why would she see the truth and ignore it? (Rom. 1:18-25)
3. How did God comfort Elijah? (5-6) After receiving new strength and power, where did he go? (7-8) Why? (Ex. 3:1, 12, 34:4-7)
II. The Lord's Love for His Prophet (9-18)
4. How did Elijah feel while thinking about the spiritual condition of Israel? (10, 14) How does this explain why he was compelled to go to Mt. Sinai? (11-12)
5. How did God reveal himself to Elijah? (9, 13) In what respect is God's response different from what Elijah had thought?
6. What new direction and mission did God give to Elijah? (15-16) Why? (17) How did God remind Elijah that he was not alone? (18)
III. The Call of Elisha (19-21)
7. What did throwing one's cloak over another symbolize? (19) What request did Elisha make of Elijah? (20) Why? Did Elijah refuse this request?
8. How did Elisha respond? (21) Why? (Ex. 24:5)
9. What do you learn from the dramatic calling of Elisha? (Luke 9:61-62)
10. In what sense was the calling of Elisha different from Elijah's previous ministry? (3)